January 4, 2010

But I can't!

Well, today was the official start of me being back in the pool. I have been biking like crazy, running a little, and swimming...well...I have only swam 4 or 5 times since Ironman in August. So after my run this morning I headed to the pool. I decided to do an easy technique focused workout to get me used to being back in the water. After about 200m I realized I had skipped breakfast and a post-run snack and was freakin' hungry. I know better than that too! I decided I would suck it up for the rest of the hour and get it done though.

Then, Angie showed up (insert evil villain music here). She swam for a bit and then informed me that we would be doing 10 x 100 on 2 minutes. "I CAN'T!!" I protested. "NOOO!" I exclaimed and whined. "I have to finish the workout I started". But nothing worked. I was doing them; she had her mind made up. "Stay on my toes" she said - HA!!! Good luck! I thought. I managed to stay on her toes for the first 25m of each 100m. She dragged me to a 1:36 on our first one which I knew was too fast. I decided to slow it up or I would blow up at 500m. The next 9 were all 1:45 - 1:50 which is slower than I normally am but, was happy with considering how much swimming I had done over the last 4 months. And got it done.

Today was one of those times where I thought I couldn't do something, but I did it. Even though it hurt and it wasn't ideal, I got through something I actually didn't think I could do. I will admit that between almost every 100 (when I could actually breathe) I complained how hungry I was. Angie told me to suck it up each time and I did.

Now go do something you don't think you can do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like that was definitely "iwhbidi" and getting close to "iwhbidi-shiap" ...