September 15, 2008

-10km

Well, yesterday was my last really long run before my marathon. I only have 22km to run next Sunday (not sure when 22km became "only"! Hmmm....).

I had decided to wait until around 10:30am - 11am to start as it has been a bit chilly lately. However, as luck would have it as I stepped outside and looked at the temperature, 20 degrees I was a bit worried. Maybe I should have paid closer attention to the weather report! As I ran, I wound all around Cochrane in different neighborhoods. I had downloaded some new music too and have been loving Podrunner (DJ Steve Boyett) as it helps pass the time on these incredibly long runs.

At the 18km mark, I was passed by about 30 kids on bikes and realized the Terry Fox run was coming along that very path. I quickly found an exit off that trail and into a subdivision I could meander around in. It was so hot but I couldn't help enjoy it, realizing these days will be few and far between shortly. At the 28km mark I was out of water and extremely thirsty. I couldn't bare to go another 4km without water! I ran past a friend's house (who should remain nameless) and knocked on the door. I was excited for water! So excited! But there was no answer. I think my eyes filled with tears. I paused for a moment and turned the door knob. YES!!!!! I ran into the house, filled up 2 of my bottles, and chugged a glassful and went back out to face the final 4km of my run. THANK-YOU ________!!!!!! I ran around the neighborhood and finished the last few hundred meters mid-way up the Bonus Hill. I luckily finished right outside the convenience store right below my house so I walked in, bought an ice cream bar, and walked the rest of the Bonus Hill while happily eating my ice cream!!! 32km, I thought. I can suffer through another 10km in 3 weeks - it might not be pretty, but I know I can do it!

2 comments:

Leslie said...

Hey Richelle! Last long run....ahhhh isn't it great. Anyway, I didn't know you had a blog and I stumbled upon it last week! I will stop by sometime now that I am back. Happy training :)

Susi said...

you slay me! i am going to have to remember to make my runs end at the convenience store too before going up the rest of bonus hill. tee hee.