September 25, 2008

I'm a triathlete again! (almost)

Over the past month I have felt more like a runner than a triathlete leading up to this marathon. I am 10 days out now! Today a few of us met for an early morning run around Cochrane and then Ang and I hit the pool. I love multi-sport workouts! I was exhausted, but happy. It felt great to be back in the pool after a month hiatus (the pool was shutdown for annual cleaning). Being back in the pool mentally was great, however, my body was not so sure. My shoulders got tired quick and as Ang pointed out before we got in, I have lost some bulk on my shoulders (darn! I worked hard for that!). I do have no doubt though, that it will come back quickly and that in just a few workouts I will not feel so laboured in the water.

With 10 days to go to the marathon I am now obviously in taper mode! I seem to be forever hungry and on Sunday, immediately after my run, I ate: 3 bowls of cereal, 1 cup of yogurt and 1 pita pizza that I had made the night before! I think my husband is starting to worry I have taken up power eating in place of triathlon. For those of you that are reading this that have trained for a marathon before, YOU COULD HAVE WARNED ME! HA! HA! I just can't believe the bottomless pit I have become and I looking forward to getting back to normal. The good news is that I have not gained weight and am leaner than I have ever been before!

1 comment:

Downhillnut said...

Um, oh yeah, marathon training makes you hungry. Did we not tell you that?

In the vein of warning you about marathon training side effects, be careful when entering stores and race expos. Compulsive shopping is a known symptom of taper-craziness. That, and an overwhelming desire to do home maintenance and/or gardening you've put off while getting in your long runs. Resist and remember to rest!