July 8, 2010

July 4th Racing Updates

Another fabulous weekend of racing!

Denise - Denise raced her first ever Olympic distance triathlon in Canmore this weekend. Despite deciding to sign up 5 days in advance she became ill 2 days out and like the trooper she is, still raced (and in the 13 degree Quarry Lake)! She had a great day and now has some experience in the Olympic distance which she enjoyed placing 2nd in her age group. Up next for her is the Kelowna Apple Triathlon.

Angie - It was Angie's first 1/2 Ironman this weekend at GWN and she did so well! She had a fantastic day (with a very cute cheering squad who were very proud of their mom). Angie finished the course on a very windy day in 5:48:56. She has been training so hard and always giving 110% which is why she is seeing progress. Angie is now going to settle into fall marathon training but she is still going to swim and bike!


Sue - Although we couldn't spot Sue as she was not in TTL gear, I got to see Sue throughout the day smiling away (even when she couldn't feel her feet until 6km on the run!). With a 3 minute time improvement over last year, all of the running Sue has been doing has really paid off! It has been hard to get alot of the long bikes in due to the weather and she still biked well (her husband told her she would and now she has to tell him he was right!). Just 4 weeks out from Calgary 70.3 Sue is going to take what she learned and apply it to that race. Way to go Sue!

Danielle - Danielle zipped by me, happy as I have ever seen her, at the 17km mark on the run at GWN this weekend and I simply couldn't believe how fast she was going! Danielle had an amazing first 1/2 Ironman this weekend! She swam strong despite being a bit nervous, and she executed her bike perfectly saving her legs for an outstanding run where she had her fastest 1/2 marathon time ever, 1:46:12! After finishing GWN in 5:33:28, Danielle will be doing Calgary 70.3 next month and now belives in herself enough to go to Penticton and sign up for Ironman Canada 2011! Yeah Danielle! Congratulations girl!


Maureen - Maureen is another 1/2 Ironman first timer. Maureen too raced happy the entire day, executed her entire day perfectly and smashed her time goal of 8 hours crssing the line in 7:03:55. She planned every detail and it really payed off in her racing. At the finish line exclaimed "that wasn't as hard as I thought it would be!". She had a huge support crew come out to cheer her on and a Champagne toast at the finish line was a great way to end the day and a new hoodie with IWHBIDI on it to celebrate her accomplishment! Way to go Maureen. We all knew you could do it!


Coach Richelle - I too raced this weekend. However I opted participate on a team and just to do the bike as I have not been swimming or running enough to do the race how I would like to. When we arrived at the lake race morning I was calm until I could not find my bike computer. I was literally shaking until we found it! Ha! And I thought I wasn't going to be nervous for this race. I buzzed around for the rest of the morning helping everyone into wetsuits and then got myself organized once the swimmers were off. I had a great 50km and the last 40km hurt more than I thought it would but, I knew I was going faster than in previous years. I raced strictly off my watts and heart rate and did not look at my time until after I got off my bike! It was wonderful to not worry about time and just push myself where my body told me I could. I hopped off the bike and handed the chip to super runner Chris Kennedy who ran us to a 5th place finish!


I had a great rest of the day cheering everyone alongside my husband. We cheered people on the run course and then went to the finish for celebreations as everyone came in. That was more fun that racing myself. I am so proud of everyone!
Up next for me are the National Mountain Bike Championships (I am doing the Citizen Challange) on July 18th.

No comments: