April 6, 2009

Ironman Australia spectating




I just got back from the pool from a fabulous evening swim at the University of Queensland. I love outdoor pools. It is just so different to swim outdoors all the time. I am going to be sad coming back to Canada and having to swim indoors again. 

We just got back from Port Macquarie today. It was a fabulous (but very rainy) weekend. I don't suspect I will arrive back in Canada with a tan. Friday we spent driving down to Port Macquarie with a quick stopover in Byron Bay to frolic in the ocean. 

Saturday we walked about town and mostly hung out in the cabin as it was very rainy. We tried to go see what was going on with the Ironman 1km Ocean Swim but it had been cancelled. The waves were huge and we were both a little relieved after we saw the huge waves.  Sunday morning I woke up to the most pelting rain I had ever heard. I felt sick to my stomach for the athletes. It had cleared u however by race start but not before it dampened T1 and T2 as much as it could (it was already more than damp!). We missed the pros going off but were there for the 1500 age-groupers as they headed down the river. We followed much of the race moving from spot to spot to see the pros and age-groups race. It was very exciting to see Chrissie Wellington and she really is amazing! She was smiling and waving at the crowd even as she pushed on throughout the race. I got alot of photos of here and an autograph! She is so nice and I also got some amazing video footage of her which I will post when I can figure out this darn video camera. Her finish and post race interview was amazing (for the record, she finished in 8:57!!!!!)

We left Port early this morning and it took most of the day to drive back up to Brisbane. As I said before, I snuck away for an evening swim and now we are just hanging out at Carole's. It could be an early bed tonight as we were up late last night cheering on the late night Ironmen and Ironwomen.

No comments: