April 6, 2009

Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary


Yep, I got to hold a kola today! We went to Lone Pine Sanctuary today. It is a sanctuary with koalas, kangaroos, wallaby's, wombats, and more Australian animals. 

Up until now I had no idea that koalas can be so active. They still sleep 20 hours a day but, we happened to be there at feeding time. These little guys are so cute and inquisitive when they are awake. They love their food (Eucalyptus leaves) and love jumping from branch to branch in search of the very best leaves. We watched them for hours. We were so fascinated with the koalas, and we hung around them most of the day. There were so many of them in various parts of the grounds. In total there are over 130 koalas at Lone Pine. And the handlers can tell all of them apart.

















Today I also saw a spider that someone had to say "stay away from that one!".  It was a Green Jumping Spider that is not toxic to humans but, has a very painful bite. Yikes!


To Janice (my mother-in-law) - I haven't emailed because I don't have your email address! I am really missing you though!!!


3 comments:

Runner Leana said...

You are so lucky! The only few times I've seen koalas they have all been sleeping. I didn't know that they were that active. Love the picture of you with the little koala bear!

Anonymous said...

Very Cute with the koala's. I hope you are having a great time. I was very sorry to hear about your friend.

Downhillnut said...

Wow, you got to hold a koala! Looks like you're having fantastic time down under. Keep the reports coming.