October 6, 2008

Portland Marathon



Me at the 26 mile mark AND me and my dad before the race.

I woke up and got ready quickly. I love race morning putting on your gear! I love the moment when you tie your shoes up - knowing you are going for a run!

Before we left I managed to eat a bit but, not what I should have. My stomach hurt and I tried hard to push it out of my mind. I am sure it was just nerves. When we got downtown I had alot of time to get ready before I had to head to the start line. I people watched for quite sometime until it was time to go. I gave a big hug and kiss to my parents and my poor dad looked like he was going to cry. I headed over to the starting chute and stood there freezing. The guy standing next to me asked if I would like his sweatshirt as we waited because it looked like I needed it more than him. I happily put it on as it took the edge off being so cold. I knew once I started running I would be OK which is why I didn't have anything with me. We stood there and talked for a bit, until the countdown started. I gave him back his sweatshirt and then the gun went off. Here we go! My first marathon!

The first part of the run was uphill and we were going fast. One part of me said to slow down and the other part said it is OK, just go with the flow. Bad choice! This was not my plan. I stuck with the 3:45 marathon group (even though 3:50 was my goal time) and was feeling great. It started to rain about 5 km in but, the temperature was perfect. As I ran along listening to my Ipod (the Portland marathon is an Ipod friendly course) I continued to feel great, loving the music I was listening to and ignoring the rain. Around the 20km mark I could feel my IT band twinge and then at the 21km mark I had to stop. Argh! I looked at my watch and it read 1:52. I was on track to my goal; slightly ahead actually. I knew the second half of the course was harder but, still confident I could reach my 3:50 marathon goal. I had to stop and stretch my IT band every kilometer but, was still running at a great pace. Then 30km came along. OK, I must have gone out too hard on the first half of the course because my legs were sore! My quads were screaming at me to stop running (along with my IT band). I managed to continue moving forward as best as I could combining running, walking and stretching. I laughed at one point as I was absolutely soaking wet. I couldn't believe how wet I was. The skies had opened up and it was like I was in the shower. There were rivers running down the sides of the streets, it became impossible to avoid the puddles, and I was absolutely soaked! Well, if I could make it through ITU World's this year in the pouring rain and cold, then I could make it through this.

With 5km to go I met another girl with major IT band issues too. We leap frogged each other the past few km's, passing each other as we stretched our IT bands. I also knew I would at least finish at this point, no matter the time! When I passed the 25 mile mark I refused to walk anymore as I wouldn't be able to get going again. I looked for my parents who promised to be at the 26 mile mark. I have never been so excited to see them! They were bursting with pride - I love my parents! I turned the corner into the final 0.2 km's and there was a huge billboard of a fat lady singing and there was opera music belting out from speakers! It was almost over! The fat lady had sung! I gave all I could into the finishing chute! As I crossed the finish line, I immediately began crying. I had done it! It was the hardest thing I had ever done and I was in pain but, I had completed my first marathon! They put the medal around my neck and I continued to cry. A nice volunteer walked me over to the medical tent where they put ice around my knee. I tried to comprehend what I had just done. I trained so hard and it always seemed so far away but, now it was over. And, I had done it!

I wondered around trying to get out of the athlete area to find my parents. When we finally found each other we immediately came home so I could eat, have an ice bath, and nap. I was doing everything I could so that I would recover as quickly as possible.

Today I am sore. My IT band hurts like heck today (along with my hamstrings and quads) and I can barely walk! But it sure was worth it! I can finally say I am a marathoner! And I plan to do more of them.

4 comments:

Leslie said...

Congrats!!! Sounds like a tough run...way to go! You made me tear up just reading abouti t:)

Leaha said...

Congratulations Richelle!!
I am so happy for you. What a great time, especially for your first marathon. I'm going to drop by the store and give you a huge hug!!

Leaha

Susi said...

awesome job richelle!! body slamming high five to ya! :D

runningman said...

Congratz!!! and yes I have found your blog, creeping for a couple posts now, had to comment on this one though. Awesome job, getting through that!